SOUTH NEWINGTON OPEN GARDENS

Start: Saturday 24th April, 2021 at 9:00am End: 31st October, 2021 at 3:30pm Location: South Newington, OX15 4JL, by appointment.

Please take the opportunity this summer to visit two varied gardens in South Newington, each of which offers at least 30 minutes of interest. They are situated opposite one another and are opened by appointment Monday-Saturday until the end of October. Groups are welcomed as well as individuals and families.

See a recent testimonial here.

Each garden presents a rich palette of colour and form, created through design and planting. Herbaceous borders offer year-round interest and havens for a range of wildlife. The gardens have formal box hedge parterres and orchards with fruit trees. There are water features, as well as beehives in both locations. The kitchen gardens are managed on a rotation method and with companion planting. Where possible, the gardens are maintained organically.

DETAILS

Date: open Mondays-Saturdays until 31 October 2021 by appointment only. Groups welcomed as are individuals and families.

Opening time: 9am-3.30pm but other times are possible, subject to availability. Bespoke packages for groups can also be arranged, including early evenings.

Please call Claire Swan to make an appointment to visit one or both gardens:
07711 720135 or email Claire here.

Entry fee: minimum donation £5 for each of the two gardens.

Parking: available at the properties.

Accessibility: there are numerous gravel paths, which are accessible in a wheelchair but can be challenging.

Dogs: assistance dogs only please.

Refreshments: teas and cakes will be available for visits at an additional charge.

Plant stall: garden produce may be available in exchange for a donation and plants are for sale in the centre of South Newington.

South Newington village

While you are in South Newington, you might choose to spend some time exploring the village. It originated in Anglo-Saxon times and after the Norman conquest, William the Conqueror granted the manor to Odo, Bishop of Bayeux. It’s recorded in the Domesday Book as one of his estates.

The lovely parish church of St Peter ad Vincula was originally a small late Norman church but it has been considerably extended and a bell tower was added at the end of the 13th century. Other additions were made in the 15th century. The tower has a ring of five bells, the oldest of which was cast in 1656.

The church also has unusual medieval wall paintings in the north aisle (1330–40) in oil on plaster. Professor Ernest Tristram describes the paintings as ‘of a nature seldom found in a parish church’.